Friday, July 13, 2007

Vacations are so Overrated

I feel tired just thinking about my "vacation" with the girls. It started off well enough - driving up to mom and dads to spend a week visiting them and Jessica. But, as is usually the case, things did not run as smoothly as I could have wished. Well, really, it was a good time... I just can't expect that kids will suddenly turn into angels just because I want to relax! Being at Mimi's house is always nice. I love being in the Poconos, where the weather is cooler and there is so much more room to breathe. And of course it was great spending time with Jessica. The girls just adore their aunt Jessica!




Going to the lake for the LAA meeting was a little trickier. The kids don't do very well in unfamiliar places, and I have to admit I was at a bit of a loss without my usual conviences. I think Lauren had the most fun out of all of us, and Vincent and I had the hardest time. Lauren is a total mermaid, as well as a social butterfly! If she could have, she would have spent every moment in the water! I was blown away by how well she swims! And she was blown away by all her new "cousins"! Meeting her cousins, aunts and uncles again was like a first meeting for her. She remembered a little of Kali's wedding, but was too little to remember any individual people.




Waterfront day was a blast! Lauren was a little frustrated that the games were for grown-ups, but she loved the excitement of it all! Melissa, being a little shyer, stayed by me in the sidelines. She had a hard time skipping her nap, and I could tell that all the activities were starting to wear on her. And little Vincent - well, he wasn't too happy about being in he sun and missing his afternoon nap! We had to leave the festivities early to put him down for his nap, and I conked out too! Mom warned me how difficult a trip to the lake was with babies, but as usual I had to find out for myself.




But it was totally worth it to see my family, and to introduce the girls to our wonderful tradition. I hope Lauren will remember it! All in all, it was a fun-filled, family-filled week, but I am glad to be back home with our cribs, toys, TV, and Daddy! Maybe next year he'll come along......